Thursday, May 14, 2009

Akeret Habayit




For those who may not know or maybe you do, the address of my blog is www.AkeresHabayis etc. I don't think I have taken the time to explain what this is. Maybe my daughter has. But first and foremost, for those that are aware I know I am using the ashkenasic spelling of the word. An Akeret Habayit (sephardic pronunciation) is loosely the foundation of the home. It is a Jewish expression for the woman of the home. This expression is not a box but an understanding of the value that a woman has to her family. In our example of the Proverbs 31 woman one of the interesting things I find is that she was an all around heroic woman. Today we use her as a model for a homemaker and I think we also need to take into account that she was a business woman!! Read it. It doesn't sound like she was home all the time??? Although I have chosen to stay at home.

Having said that I choose to use this expression because I think it entails all the aspects that sometimes we women come across. And no matter what your lot in life, some have to work, some must have their children in public schools. There are diverse woman and circumstances out there and I want you to know that you are still a woman of valor. And this I know that whatever may come my way with HaShem's help I will always be an akeret habayit.

I state in my heading "In Practice" because I am still learning and still practicing. And here at Lavender house all are witnesses!!! So I hope that as you visit you can laugh, cry, laugh okay occasionally go what is she talking about!!! Or maybe say make up your mind and stick with it!!!! Like I said In Practice!!

But I love my family and want to make this home a place where they can flourish and blossom as children of The Most High!! But not just them but my dearest and I, we are still growing and need our home to be a safe place to do it.

So If you are interested in exploring the expression Akeret Habayit I would suggest a google search of it. Not all you find you will agree with but throw out the bad and take the good.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...